Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Listen To Your Body When You Have To Go Potty: The Potty Edition

Potty Training….

When I first tried potty training my baby girl at 19 months. I was excited! I got all the stuff for it: cute panties, I let her pick out her toilet (which was the princess toilet seat), treats, drinks, and lots and lots of excitement! But.. then we tried.. there was screaming.. lots and lots and lots of SCREAMING.
She did not like it and wanted nothing to do it.
Every time I even tried to put her next to the toilet, she screamed
Every time she had an accident, she screamed.
To say the least.. it was awful. So we took a break.

We tried again right after she turned 2. It went a little better, but she was still not ready.

4 months later

We tried again.. I didn't plan on it, we already had everything we needed, so when she woke up with a dry diaper.. I stuck her on this cute ladybug potty that we had bought a month or so before. 
She went! Hallelujah! No screaming! A little scared, but she did amazing! 


(I got our cute ladybug potty chair here, or you might be able to get it on Amazon, but last time I checked, they were out of stock.)

What we did to continue this progress:

-We drank lots! (juice, water, milk)
-We watched movies and read books and tried to stay in one general area for most of the day.
-We stayed home for 5 days straight (which was pretty hard since I started training her without planning for it.. We were going to go camping that weekend and had some other plans :(  BUT SHE WAS FINALLY GETTING IT, so we just went with it.)
-Excitement when she went on the potty
-Uh oh song when she had an accident
-1st day she got 2-3 gummies from a fruit snack pack for going pee in the potty
-2nd day and 3rd day she got one smartie from a smartie pack when she went pee in the potty
-After the 3rd day, she didn't get any more treats for going pee in the potty. We just continued to be positive and excited.

Going poop in the toilet, was a bit more difficult. We had accidents for the first 3 days and then she went in the toilet! YAY! After that she had 2 more accidents and since then, she seems to be getting it. YES! And she's really good about telling me that she needs to go poop.YES. Hallelujah. Did I say HALLELUJAH?

When she goes poop in the toilet
-TONS OF PRAISE
-She gets one treat
-PATIENCE- she sits on the toilet for 15 minutes or so and reads. Her favorite is an Elmo: Look and Find book for toddlers. It's the shiz. Only thing that sucks about it is that its half her size...


Graco Sure Foot Step Stool This is great, she loves it.



We had a run around in our underwear kind of day!


Potty training was and is hard. You just have to stick with it!
I pretty much needed a support system.. ;)

Know your child, if he/she is not ready, consider waiting

My little one needed some more time and it worked in our favor to wait.

I can say now say that she is pretty much potty trained.
I mean... we went out last night and she went potty 4 times.. and I think 2 of them were just for fun.. because public bathrooms are so much fun! 

I would love to hear your comments or questions on potty training!

Stay fit, stay healthy, stay strong!
Xoxo Katie

If you would like me to answer any questions or want me to be your coach, contact me at http://www.beachbodycoach.com/KATIEDEBRINE

I update a lot more on instagram, so you can follow me there or you can add me on Facebook.
Follow me on instragram! @katelyndebrine
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment